Sunday, March 10, 2019

Self: Centered: Society

In today’s modern society, we can observe that everyone is self-centered. Even though, in the last two decades, we have come so far that TVs went from box sized to a slim-curved, every household product, we are still self-obsessed. I believe that people in this society are so worried about their looks and wealth that their eyes have become blind from other important issues. 

Human beings begin their day with their “most exotic customs” of getting themselves ready. They go through “almost unbelievable ritual torture” to improve the way they look. From the beginning, this custom hasn’t changed even through the changing society and remains the key for presenting themselves to the society. But the truth should be that people should be characterized by their character but not only by their physical appearances. The wealth part comes next... 

Then, they go to work in order to pursue wealth. They developed the society to where “literally and truly, one cannot get on well in the world without money.” Not only we made the society that runs behind money but completely materialistic. It is also really funny when we say that money cannot bring happiness, but we never think of the idea about how the lack of money will definitely lead to sorrow.  All of this reminds me of Daisy who fits into all these categories of running behind wealth and making choices that are selfish. It’s interesting that Daisy was part of the 1920s but this still runs today.  

One thing is for sure that after reading “On the Want of Money” and “Body Ritual Among the Nacirema”, I was really intrigued by the fact about how we, human beings, are really self-centered. 

3 comments:

  1. I love how you were able to draw connections between both of these pieces and The Great Gatsby, I thought that this was really interesting, and I liked the conclusions you were able to come to.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Sai!!
    I love the connection you made from the reading we did in class to Daisy from the Great Gatsby. It’s also really sad to think that we’ve come so far in terms of improving our technology but we are just as vain as we were in the past.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love how you managed to tie in Daisy from Gatsby into the pieces we’re reading now! It’s just further indication that human selfishness is present in everything we read, because it’s present in everything we do. It’s truly unfortunate that our selfishness remains pervasive today.

    ReplyDelete

The Need For A Measure of Restraint

Science is the quest into the uncertain world. It requires a great amount of passion, dedication, and courage to enter this uncertain wor...