“A people without the knowledge of their past history, origin and culture is like a tree without roots.” —Marcus Garvey
When I was a kid, I loved to draw out family trees. Family trees were very interesting and fun to draw especially when you sit with your grandparents and talk about it. And I did learn a lot about my family like my great grandfather had a picture with Gandhi. So, I would like to blog about family HISTORY.
Did you know The United States celebrates October as National Family History Month? Well, knowing family history is very important because they can have a huge impact on you and the future generations.
For example, Milkman, in the “Song of Solomon”, was always hopeless due to several reasons. One of which is his father’s dependency, and another is due to the fact that humans cannot fly. But, when Ms. Susan said Soloman, Milkman’s great grandfather, flew to Africa. Milkman becomes trilled and “surfaced like a bullet” and started “splashing water.” He becomes so excited that he says, “my great-granddaddy could flyyyyyy and the whole damn town is named after him.” (Morrison 328). The knowledge of his family history makes him aware about his identity and makes him more mature when he respects people like Hagar and Pilate.
In other words, family history makes us strong, inspires us from their struggles, helps us not to repeat mistakes, strengthens the sense of who we are, makes us feel not lonely but, supportive. Finally, it connects us with the past, and when we are gone to the future generations.

I like the quote that you put in the beginning of your blog. It related well with the example of Milkman discovering his identity. I also like the way you ended your writing to remind us of the importance of family history. I agree that it defines part of who we are as people.
ReplyDelete